Friday, May 12, 2006

Thank You Christian

Yipee!~ Christian's umbilical cord fell off today. Now he can get a real bath.

My mother-in-law has been coming over the past couple of days to make food for me and watch Christian so I can rest and it has helped me so much. Physically, emotionally and mentally. I've been getting the "baby blues"- especially at night when I'm home alone with the baby and it's quiet and dark. Having her around has made me feel so much stronger. Tonight, Ben's whole family came over to eat with me. I hadn't taken a shower in 2 days so when they all came, knowing that Christian wound be tended to if he started crying, I went and took a long, hot shower to unwind. It's funny how you get some of your deepest thoughts in the bathroom -when you're on the toilet or brushing your teeth or taking a shower. I just started to cry...but they weren't tears of sadness but relief and gratitude. I'm so thankful to God for all the wonderful blessings in my life. Sometimes, I'm too busy looking at things I don't have rather than the things that I do. In that moment, while I was in the shower, I was able to see my blessings - my health, my wonderful, loving, hard-working and supportive husband, my healthy, precious bundle of joy, my adorable doggie, our wonderful home, the sweetest in-laws a girl can have (even though i complain sometimes- i really shouldn't), my hard-working supportive parents, my siblings, my awesome, caring & loving friends, and even our struggling restaurant.

Having gone through a somewhat humble childhood, I grew up wanting the "finer things in life" - designer shoes, clothes and purses galore, vacation homes in every part of the world, nannies to raise my kids while we travelled and shopped, and fine dining every night - heck, even a personal world renowned chef to cook for us on a whim if we so desired. (yeah, i've been watching way too much "Fabulous Life Of" on E!) But God is beginning to reveal that there is much more to life than what I thought would make me happy. Seeing Christian giggle or let our a big burp has turned to be such a joy for me - or even being able to sleep more than 1 hour at a time. I'd trade all of my designer duds to be able to sleep for 10 hours straight through without any guilt. It's funny how a baby turns your whole world upside down. I used to carry a large makeup bag full of different shades of lipglosses in my LV tote. Now, I've got a large ziploc bag in there with diapers, wipes, receiving blanket and change of baby clothes. In the pocket where I used to put my cell phone, I carry diaper coupons. And I'm finding out that it's all worth it.

I love you Christian. Thank you for changing my life.

No comments: