Tuesday, January 29, 2008

POTTY TRAINING

I've been trying to hold off on potty training for as long as possible. I hate the thought of having to deal with "accidents" and cleaning potties. I can picture myself gagging as I'm dumping out the little potty bowl full of poop or pee and then oh gross, I have to clean that little bowl. But where do you clean it? In the sink? In the bathtub? And then all that residual water that's rinsing the bowl out...it gets everywhere. Which means I'd have to clorox the sink or the tub EVERYTIME I clean out the potty.

I went to Target today just browsing through the aisles and then came across one of those little seat thingies you put on top of the toilet so your kid doesn't fall in - so I bought one. And after our dinner at our favorite sushi restaurant tonight, we opened it up, stuck in on top of the toilet and explained to Christian what it was. We asked him if he'd like to try it. He replied with a big nod, "shyesh" (his way of saying "yes") and so we took off his diaper and put him on top of the seat. He looooved it. He sat in there for about 5 minutes and did not want to come down. We even gave him a book to read. And then afterwards, we gave him some toilet paper and he patted his "ba-dunk-a-dunk" as we call it. Of course he didn't really pee or poop (although we were really wishing he would).

But look at that face - it encompasses a look of satisfaction, accomplishment and excitement. Priceless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA! SOOOO CUTE especially with his socks on. it was so good seeing you and your boys last saturday ... christian is such a big boy now, no longer a baby at all. good luck w/the potty training!

Anonymous said...

oh so you don't have to use those mini toilets at all? but doesn't Christian need a step or something to rest his feet on when he's on a real toilet?

we should invent a mini-toilet with a disposable container, maybe a plastic bag to insert within the container so you can discard it after each use....no?

lucy said...

Oh my gosh, I totally know what you mean about those gross mini toilets! I am totally going to go this route too and get one of those things that fit on top of the toilet. That picture of Christian is so funny! he really does look he's accomplished! What a cutie!

Anonymous said...

omgoodness u girls missed christian brake dancing at greg's wedding! he was soooo adorable...spinning and doing the 360s on the dance floor! he was getting all the attention~!~ he is so freaken cute!