Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Good News... and Good News

So. You want the good news? Or do you want the good news? Which one? Okay, we'll start with the good news.

Lauren had her eye exam today. It's such an awful thing she has to go through...so I guess there's some bad news to this post. The eye doctor uses this metal wire contraption that basically forces her eyes open and then uses this metal earpick looking thing to dig around the side flaps and flashes this bright light in her eyes while he uses a magnifying glass/scope looking thing to examine her retina. She was wailing and I couldn't do anything but watch. A part of me wanted to kick the doctor's ass for causing her pain but I just kept saying to myself that it's something they have to do to make sure she's okay.

The doctor said her right eye still looks about the same as last week so it's still Stage 2. But her left eye is now Stage 1!!! Yayyyy!~ I'm feeling hopeful... The whole time he was there, I was praying under my breath to just not let it get any worse so I was really happy to hear one of her eyes has improved.

My first breastfeeding session is tomorrow! The lactation consultant warned me to not expect much of anything during this first session. She said it was more like a "meet and greet" so Lauren can get acquainted with my boobs...lol. I have a good feeling she may latch on though so we'll see how it goes. I'm so excited!

I met with one of Lauren's doctors today and she's increasing Lauren's milk intake by another cc so she'll be at 38 cc per feeding, every 3 hours. =)

She's still on 21% oxygen which is "room air" and they lowered the flow to .25 liters. This is a super low setting and the doctor said that basically they left the nasal cannula in her nose so that they could increase her oxygen % if she needed it during feeding times. But Lauren hasn't had her oxygen increased at all for the past 2 or 3 days. It's been at 21% for at least 3 days. So, the doctor said that she will probably get off the nasal cannula in a couple of days! One less wire on her to worry about!

BPD is a lung disease that's diagnosed when a baby needs supplemental oxygen during his/her feedings at 36 weeks gestation. Lauren was 36 weeks on Monday and since she hasn't needed an increase in her O2, the doctor said she probably doesn't have BPD. Yipee!~

Okay, and last but not least... I asked the doctor when Lauren would be discharged. I joked and asked if I could just stick her in my purse and take her home right then and there. The doctor said that if all goes smoothly, Lauren will be coming home anywhere from 10 to 21 days from now!

I'm so excited and totally stressed at the same time. There's so much I need to organize, buy, plan, clean, etc. and I don't know where I'm going to find the time to do all this in between being at the hospital (even more now that I'm going to start breastfeeding) and taking care of the rest of the family.

I've been taking Christian to school in the mornings and picking him up. But when Lauren comes home, I can't take him. Walking into a daycare with Lauren is NOT an option because of all the germs. We've asked Ben's mom to take on this duty but she's out of town for like 3 weeks here and there for the next 2 months. I'm not sure what we're going to do...I guess I have to really figure things out now.

I can't believe our little munchkin is finally going to be home with us. I guess there's a good chance we will be celebrating her 100th day at home.

Thanks for all your prayers and support, everyone. Your prayers are working - God is listening. Please, please, continue to pray for us. Our journey in the NICU may be ending soon but bringing her home will be another journey in and of itself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - i can't believe it's passed by so quickly, althouhg i'm sure to you it's been a lonnnnng time coming. i know she's had some downs but i can't believe how strong this little girl is ... and that she'll be home before month's end. i canNOOOOTTTTT wait to meet lauren and sniff the shit outta her ;)

lucy said...

I'm so glad to hear that there is only good news! How exciting that Lauren can come home soon. What an amazingly, strong little girl :) I can't wait to meet her!

Anonymous said...

awwwwweeee sue! i'm so excited and happy for you! i can't wait to meet lauren, she is a precious gift from God...love u lots and see you this weekend for your baby shower!!!!! xoxo